By Jennifer Dunnam
This column will be a bit more brief than usual. We have been quite busy in the NFB since the last issue of the Bulletin. We have been protesting discriminatory payment of subminimum wages at Goodwill, raising funds through our Walk for Opportunity in Rochester, attending several activities at our national center, holding chapter meetings, planning for our upcoming convention in Duluth, helping with a golf tournament to benefit Blindness: Learning in New Dimensions (BLIND)., advocating for blind individuals, and more. We will be discussing these items in more detail at the convention, as well as planning future activities. I hope that everyone will attend and be part of our work.
In the meantime, I leave you with five things to remember and to do:
- Read this month’s issue of the Braille Monitor, our monthly flagship publication for the National Federation of the Blind. In fact, don’t just stop at one month—make it a habit! If you do not yet receive the Braille Monitor directly, please contact us and we’ll help you get subscribed.
- Tuesday, November 6, is Election Day. Remember to vote! You can find your polling place at http://pollfinder.sos.state.mn.us/ and you will be able to cast your ballot via the accessible AutoMark machine.
- Mark your calendars for Give to the Max day, which will be Thursday, November 15, 2012! On that day, thousands of Minnesota nonprofits will come together to raise millions of dollars in just 24 hours, and the NFB of Minnesota will be a part of it. It is another great way to gain financial support from outside our organization. Watch email, Twitter, and Facebook for details.
- Continue to let people know about the need to eliminate the payment of subminimum wages to people with disabilities. If your Congressional representative has not yet signed on to H.R. 3086, write them another letter about the importance of this issue. We will not rest until we get this done.
- Make an easy $10 contribution to the Imagination fund via the NFB’s Text2Give program by texting the words “blind MN” to 85944. Encourage your friends and acquaintances to do likewise.
See everyone at the convention!